Thursday, May 26, 2011

i think my rack just got me a new gas cap.

     i went to see the fam down in oregon tonight to celebrate the twins' birthday. on my way back home, i realized i needed to stop for gas, and pulled into a station. i was wearing my new black dress, which i love; it has a lovely plunging neckline.
     as you probably know, they have gas station attendants in oregon, and when i pulled up to the pump, a pleasant looking young man in his early twenties trotted over to assist me. i gave him all my cash ($10) since i didn't want to bother with getting out and walking all the way across the lot to the storefront in order to use my card.
      now, i lost the gas cap for rigby a couple of months ago, so i have have been driving around without one (i know, i know.) the young man says, "you know you're missing your gas cap?" and i responded with a sigh and a shrug-- "yeah, i know. i lost it."
      "i could probably find you one," he offered.
      "really?" i replied, surprised.
      "sure. let me go check."
      i looked across the lot at the store. this offer was above and beyond. something occurred to me. as he was starting off, i called out, "don't worry about it, it's no big deal. i don't have anything to tip you with, anyway; i gave you all my cash."
      "oh, it's no problem at all," he said. "i'll be right back."
      and sure enough, he was. "i think this one will fit," he smiled, and i heard the sound of the cap being screwed into place. he stepped back to the window. "there ya go."
      i was delighted; i'm not used to strangers doing me favors. i smiled up at him and said, "thank you! you're my hero!" and then i realized he wasn't looking at me . . . not all of me, anyway. he was looking at the girls. 

      frankly, it's the nicest compliment i've received in a while.
     and i got a free gas cap.


No comments:

Post a Comment